One exercise *every* small business needs to do: Develop Your Onliness Statement.
Fill in these blanks: “My brand is the only _______ that ________.”
For example: Cirque du Soleil is the only circus that combines acrobatics with theatre.
To create an “onliness statement,” six components must be defined:
- What: the only (category)
- How: that (differentiation characteristic)
- Who: for (customer)
- Where: in (market geography)
- Why: who (customer need statement)
- When: during (underlying trend)
An example of a completed “onliness statement” for the Harley Davidson company is:
- What: the only motorcycle manufacturer
- How: that makes big, loud motorcycles
- Who: for macho guys (and “macho wannabees”)
- Where: mostly in the United States
- Why: who want to join a gang of cowboys
- When: in an era of decreasing personal freedom
Here’s a wild stab at an onliness statement I took with a new client, Bodywork by James Girard
Resources for creating your onliness statement:
Take a few stabs of your own for your business and send me what you come up with.
Want some help? Contact me. I love creating onliness statements.